We love the free play from Muses. Add your streaming URL, select a skin, copy the embed code and paste the audio player anywhere.
Software for DJs
Virtual DJ – Designed for mobile and club DJs, this free app offers a lot and is ideal for broadcasters who don’t have any hardware – such as turntables, CDs or a mixer.
MIXXX – This app works on any platform and has ‘sample’ buttons that can be used to play your jingles and commercials.
BUTT – Broadcast Using This Tool is a free app that some people may need to connect their broadcast app to their streaming account. It supports Shoutcast and Icecast and runs on Linux, Mac OS X and Windows. The main purpose of Butt is to stream live audio data from your computer’s Mic or Line input. Recording is also possible.
Sam Broadcaster – This is a popular app for use in broadcast studios (PC only).
Sam Cast. Try for free – SAM Cast lets you stream live audio content. With a microphone, line-in or sound card, you can encode real-time audio and broadcast it live.
Sam Radio DJ – SAM DJ features a built-in advanced audio processor which will make your station sound incredible. Drag & Drop your tracks where you need them.
Station Playlist – Budget but fully-featured radio automation app.
PlayIt Live – Free when premium modules/plugins are purchased. Manual and automated radio station playout system (Windows only). Ideal for live DJs and station automation.
RadioLogik – If you broadcast using an Apple Mac then this must be a contender for you. RadioLogik from MacInMind is as close to professional broadcast software as one can get. There’s a fully-functional free trial version with no expiry date. Gotta love those Macs.
Broadcast Radio – Myriad 5 Playout is a radio playout and automation system. Free trial.
MegaSeg – With its integrated music scheduling and programmed events, you can broadcast with MegaSeg with live assist or full automation. Broadcasters will need the Pro version.
Nextkast Internet Radio Automation Software is written and designed to give the user a professional sounding radio station without the learning curve of other automation software.
Music Master – MusicMaster music scheduling software.
Radio DJ – Free (that’s right) radio automation software.
BroadWave – This runs on any PC as a server to stream live audio. A free version of BroadWave is available for non-commercial use only.
DJ Soft – Radio automation software. Automatic volume leveling, timed announcements, block rotations, advertising volume enhancement and more.
MixTime – Radio automation donate-ware, make a donation based on your proposed use.
OcenAudio – This is a cross-platform, easy to use, fast and functional audio editor. Available for all major operating systems.
Audacity – There’s no need to stump up cash for apps such as Adobe Audition when Audacity is available for free. Again, it runs on all platforms, is stable and free. It is ideal for recording shows, voice overs, jingles and making commercials.
How does one put a caller to air? Here are a few budget options…
- Connect a mobile phone to the mixer. This involves using the headphone output of the phone to an input on your mixer. The caller hears the presenter via the phone’s microphone, but their response goes through the mixer.
- Google Voice. Get a dedicated phone number for use on a smartphone or desktop website.
- Skype. Again, you can get a unique phone number or have people contact you via your Skype user account.
- If using Skype, use the Ecamm Call Recorder app to automatically record all calls. The Ecamm Call Recorder can output the interview as 2 files; one being your side of the conversation and the other being the interviewee – ideal for processing one side of the conversation and not the other.
- Skype TX. A pro solution for handling multiple callers.
- You can use a standard phone line, but typically the audio quality won’t match the digital options above. You’ll need a gadget to sit between the phone and the line to connect to your mixer. One of the better solutions is AudioTX which converts a standard landline into a higher quality ISDN line or search for a JK Audio Inline Patch on eBay etc (product discontinued).
- FeenPhone A fully duplex (and free) option meaning when one person speaks they do not drown out the other.
MP3 Normalizer – For Mac users…If you are uploading MP3 to Auto DJ you will need to trim the silence off the start and end of each MP3, level the sound so they are all the same volume (your listeners will thank you for it) and maybe change the bit rate to match your package (128k for example). This could take hours using Audacity etc, but this app does it all in a trice in batch mode.
MP3 Gain – This free app for the PC analyzes and adjusts the volume of MP3 files – just like MP3 Normalizer (but for the PC).
Add meta data to a range of file types with MP3Tag (free). Add artist and track name to your files so the correct details, such as current song playing, are displayed correctly of your website and elsewhere..
Envato – for a wide range of website themes, audio, graphics and image elements, check out Envato.
PTA Volunteer Sign Up Sheets – If you have WordPress installed as your CMS and want to sign up volunteers, then this plugin is for you. It allows you to easily create and manage volunteer sign up sheets, and you can define four different types of events: Single, Recurring, Multi-Day, or Ongoing.
Need WordPress installed and this plugin configured? We can help.
If you have any apps you think should appear here, or any broadcasting tips and tricks to share, then do let us know using the contact form – cheers.